Come See our New Website

Monday, September 21, 2009

From the Editorial Desk

Writers: paranoid that your submission being ignored? Think that the magazine that rejected you published a bunch of pretentious crap instead? You are not alone. Writers and editors seem to ignore the natural partnership of their professions, instead responding to each other with acrimony of epic proportions.

Our attention was recently drawn to the reasoned voice of Don Lee, the former editor of Ploughshares for nineteen years, in this post from The Review Review subtitled "Editors Do Not Hate You, But They Have Every Reason To..." Don feels your pain, but he also suggests that there are more productive things than hating your editor. He hasn't completely eliminated my persecution complex (which as a writer I cherish more than my neuroses) but I am feeling a little easier now about the person who is reading my copy.

No comments: