Come See our New Website

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Website of the Week - Sporcle

I have a confession to make: I'm obsessed with Sporcle. If I didn't have pressing professional obligations, I'm afraid I would spend my whole day on it, testing myself with quizzes related to "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme lyrics, album covers, celebrity mug shots and heteronyms (a word, that when pronounced two different ways, has two different meanings. Ex: conduct, like to conduct an orchestra or as in to be reprimanded for poor conduct). You may be wondering what this post is doing on a literary blog, so I'll tell you. This magical website has a whole section of literature-related quizzes! Think you can identify American and British authors based on book titles? In under five minutes? How about the Modern Library's 100 greatest books, or famous poets, or Shakespeare plays, or book titles given the opening or closing lines, or the sinners in Dante's Inferno? Even after repeated beatings to my literary self-esteem, I go back for more. Several times a day. I think you should, too.

No comments: